Happy 2016 yogis!! To start off the new year we wanted to share with you Pantone's colour of the year - Rose Quartz. This colour (and crystal) is a gentle, compassionate and heart centred colour that encourages unconditional love - something we all can use a bit more of this year! Pantone is taking a holistic approach with this year's colour and is responding to our modern day desires for more mindfulness and well-being in our lives. Colours like Rose Quartz and Serenity (the other Pantone colour of the year) both provide therapeutic relief to modern day stresses we all experience. Below we've put together a little Rose Quartz mood board to inspire a love filled 2016.
The Holidays are here. A special time to give gratitude, thanks and a treat or two. We've put together a Contemporary Yogi Gift Guide of functional pieces we think you'll love.
1. Muji's Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Diffuser - infuse your home, yoga studio or sacred space with your favourite essential oils; choose naturally cleansing oils such as wild orange to purify the air during cold/flu season
3. YogaGlo - take classes from renowned yoga teachers at any time, the perfect gift for any yogi
4. Agnes Martin - treat an art lover with this poetic book filled with Agnes' minimalist and abstract paintings that are 'meditations on innocence, beauty, happiness and love'
5. Essentialism - the disciplined pursuit of less by Greg McKeown
6. Winter Comfort Cleanse - a soul nourishing wellness program from Azulie that ignites one's inner fire and supports the whole body
7. Black Diamond + Pearl Earrings - Satomi Kawakita's intricate and beautiful designs
8. Noguchi Lamp - the Akari lamp is a modern design icon of the 1950's, which are handmade out of washi paper and bamboo ribbing; a thoughtful addition to any sacred space
9. Two Tone Warmup Leggings - hip colour blocking leggings by Outdoor Voices
10. Brain Dust - an adaptogenic elixir that supports superior states of cognitive flow, clarity, memory, creativity, alertness, meditation and a capacity to handle stress
11. BRALETTE - soft and architecturally inspired cotton bras
12. The B MAT - we love this eco rubber mat, choose between travel, everyday and strong
Embrace the holistic yoga lifestyle and take advantage of our Wellness Monday Sale - 50% off all our cleanses!
The Fall Ayurveda Cleanse is the perfect wellness program to harmonize and restore your body through modern Ayurvedic practices
The Winter Comfort Cleanse is a favourite of ours, nourishing to all the senses, a perfect gift to yourself (or a friend)
The Spring Mind Body Cleanse is our most popular cleanse, get ahead and stock up on this renewing cleanse now!
The Summer Blend Cleanse is our 3 day holistic smoothie cleanse designed to bring balance, hydration and lightness to the body and mind during summer's heat
*offer expires November 30th at 11:59pm PST with promo code: wellness
Explore Sama Vritti today, equal fluctuating breath, to instill a sense of peace and calmness in the body and in the mind during this busy Fall season. Find a comfortable seat and begin with ujjayi breathing...from here begin to count how long your inhales and exhales are...and then begin to match the length of your inhales with your exhales. Example, 4 counts on the inhale and 4 counts on the exhale. You can gradually begin to lengthen your breath if they body invites you to. Stay with this breath for a few minutes and after some time, notice the effects of this steady breathing on your mindset and inside your body. Feeling balanced and focused, take this grounded energy with you throughout the rest of your day...
BREATH IS THE BRIDGE WHICH CONNECTS LIFE TO CONSCIOUSNESS, WHICH UNITES YOUR BODY TO YOUR THOUGHTS. WHENEVER YOUR MIND BECOMES SCATTERED, USE YOUR BREATH AS THE MEANS TO TAKE HOLD OF YOUR MIND AGAIN.
-THICH NHAT HANH
Art via Wallstuff - Dalmation
Throw back to Judith Hanson Lasater in Marichyasana III pose for our Yoga PIc of the Week. This is the perfect pose to add to your Fall yoga sequence as it helps stimulate digestion, relieves fatigue, balances Vata and nourishes the spine. As you ground down in this pose, allow the energy to rise up into the heart center, feeling a sense of lightness and openness radiating outwards. Be here and breathe.
Judith is a wonderfully wise teacher who has been teaching yoga since 1971. As a physical therapist and yoga teacher, Judith brings a clear and mindful perspective to the yoga practice, especially in regards to anatomy, alignment and kinesiology. Judith has written many inspiring yoga books and is currently teaching workshops and teacher trainings in the SF Bay area, online and around the world. I am looking forward to attending some of Judith's upcoming workshops! Be in touch with Judith through her website and inspiring twitter feed to stay up to date.
"SIT DOWN AND LISTEN, REALLY LISTEN, TO YOUR FAVOURITE PIECE OF CLASSICAL MUSIC. LIVE IN THE SPACE BETWEEN THE NOTES. OPEN YOUR HEART. JAI!"
-JUDITH HANSON LASATER
Photography via Judith Hanson Lasater